Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend 2010



Happy December!!  I can’t believe it is already DECEMBER!  I say it every year, but I swear this year has gone by faster than all the rest!  I feel like Christmas was 3 months ago!  I've been listening to my holiday station on Pandora all morning long while doing the laundry and cleaning up around the house.  Christmas music is one of my all-time favorite things (Click on the link. It's totally random but completely hilarious...especially if you're a dog person!) 

I hope y’all had a great Thanksgiving.  I had an absolutely wonderful time back home in Louisiana.  We got to see and spend time with all of our beloved family and friends.

We started off our weekend at the home of my dad's parents in Shreveport, LA...

 Dad was in charge of carving the bird.

 My sweet cousin, Hannah, was in town.  Here she is with Maw Maw and my mamma.

I tell Hannah all the time that, if she wouldn't have been in charge of me and Mom the day of my wedding, I don't think I would have made it down the isle or had a bag packed for my honeymoon!  My laid back spirit was magnified the weekend I got married, and I think I was a little too care free...I know I must have stressed her out J Thanks again, Hannah!!

 Me and Pops.

I'm so thankful for you!!

 My sweet D'Daddy.  

He celebrated his 84th birthday this past week...doesn't he look great?!  He's as sharp as a tack.  I am so thankful for his health!

 My super-talented cousin, Sarah, set the table and arranged the flowers.  Aren't they beautiful??  

That is something I know nothing about...arranging flowers.  Obviously I need a lesson from her.

 No such thing as a paper plate meal at Bea Bea's J

I adore this china...we always drink coffee from these cups and saucers...it's another one of my favorite things.

 My beautiful grandmothers, Maw Maw (left) and Bea Bea (right).

 D'Daddy and my younger brother, Barron.

 The talented Sarah and her new hubby, Matthew.

We loved having you this year Matthew!!  I'm so happy you are now part of our family!

 Me and my sweet Mamma.

Then we were off to Monroe and got to have Thanksgiving dinner with the other side of our family, the Gayles.  Phillip’s parents, “Big” Phillip and Shannon, his brother, Mack (who was home from college), and his grandmother, Bumpy, were all there.  I was pretty full from lunch, but by the time Shannon pulled out all of the dishes from the oven, I couldn’t resist.  Dinner was so good and it was really good to see everyone and spend time together.  

I had worked the night before and not really gotten any sleep in the car on our way over, but I held my eyes open (not wanting to miss out) as long as I possibly could before I was put to bed J The next morning, Phillip got up around 3:45 a.m. to go duck hunting in the COLD while I slept in and woke up to a crackling fire and a breakfast of Shannon's homemade cinnamon rolls and pumpkin bread...yum!!!

I absolutely L-O-V-E-D getting to see y'all!  Thanks again!!


 The boys went hunting that morning and one of our best friends, Grayson (far left), stopped by our house on his way to Houston for a friend's wedding.  Thanks for taking the time to stop, Grayson!  It was so good to see you!

-----------------------------------------------------------

After the boys got home from hunting late that afternoon, Mom and I made another mess in the kitchen while making homemade crab cakes to top Dad’s grilled steaks.  All 6 of us (me, Ben, Barron, Phillip, Mom, and Dad) sat around our little round table in the living room to eat dinner.  The food and wine were both sooo good, but the conversation was the best of all.  At one point, we were all laughing so hard we had tears running down our cheeks and Phillip had pulled his hat down over his eyes because our topic of conversation embarrassed him for some reason J  It was SO good to be home!!!!

Neil (middle) and his wife, Ashley, stopped by to see us while they were in town for the holidays, and I made the guys take yet another picture J

Neil and Ashley live in Houston, but we never see them...we need to be better about that!

Barron went hunting again the next morning.

But he was back in time for us all to watch the LSU GAME!!!

 I couldn't resist taking this picture.  This is the kind of service I get when I go home...freshly brewed iced tea with sliced oranges, lemons, a pretty little napkin, and (of course) a straw.

I love you Mom!  Thanks for spoiling me all of these years!!  I hope you never quit!

 Maw Maw and Mom.

 Ben, Barron, and Tiger cooking cream cheese and jalapeno stuffed duck wraps.

They were SO good!

 The brothers.

Me and Barron.

 "Big" Phillip, Phillip, and Tiger.

After the terribly-embarrassing loss to Arkansas, we headed over to our neighbor's house for the annual Duck Eve celebration.  It's something Preston has been hosting for 9 years now!  I have never been able to make it for some reason, but I got to go join the festivities this year.  

 The whole gang.

 Phillip and some of his buddies from highschool.

Me and Margaret.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We stayed for a while, then we were off to our house to decorate THE CHRISTMAS TREE!!!



 Totally random:  Poor Mom, she's a bit clumsy.  She was chit chatting with me and trying to walk at the same time, and well...she had a little falling out.

You'd never know she was hurt, but she couldn't help but limp, and we caught her red handed.  We confined her to the chair and made her take care of herself for once.  She kept trying to get up and do the dishes/fix homemade hot chocolate for everyone...you gotta love her for that J

 The boys were in charge of putting the lights on the tree.  

Where's Phillip??  Who knows...no one ever does.

 Me and Tiger had some one-on-one time.

I am IN LOVE with this precious dog.  I've never met another one like him.

Isn't he so cute???  He was laying down with his pet tiger that he loves and I couldn't resist snapping a shot (or 2 or 15)...how could I?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all it was a perfect weekend.  I am so thankful for my family, my friends, and for my Lord and Savior from whom all blessings flow...May I always be careful to praise Him!!

The hymn that I have posted below is one that I hold near to my heart.  We have sung this hymn more times than I can count when we are hand-in-hand and gathered together for a meal at Bea Bea and D'Daddy's.  It is a part of my heritage that I hope to pass on to my children and theirs as well.  I'll leave you with it...

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens His will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to His name: He forgets not his own. 

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining His kingdom divine
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, All glory be thine! 

We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant,
And pray that thou still our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!



No comments:

Post a Comment