Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner Party Continued: Pumpkin And Pecan Pie



Happy Monday morning, y’all!  Thanks for coming back to see me!!  I told you I’d get my priorities straight, didn’t I?  I’ve got the laundry going, the beds made, and the dishwasher cleaning my dishes J  Can I take a second to say thanks to the people who created the dishwasher, washing machine, and dryer?  What on earth would we do if we had to clean every dish and article of clothing by hand?!  I was without a dishwasher for a few short months one time and will never again take that precious piece of machinery for granted.

Sorry for the detour.  Back to Thanksgiving…today I am going to show you how to make my grandmother’s pumpkin and pecan pie!!

As I’ve told you before, I love all things pumpkin…and I love pumpkin pie the most.  I’ve learned lately that not all people feel the same way, but if you are one that joins me in my love of pumpkin pie, you must try this recipe because it is better than all of the rest. 

…the same is true for my grandmother’s Pecan Pie.  It makes all other pecan pies seem like a mistake.

Before I reveal the recipes, I have something I need to get off my chest…

I don’t understand why some people keep their recipes under wraps…what’s the point in having a wonderful family recipe if no one else can enjoy it??  Even though I feel that way, I am for the first time hesitant about putting a recipe out there for all the world to see (I’m just being honest).  Maybe that’s because, for some reason, I feel that these recipes in particular are very close to my heart and those of my family. 

With that said – I would like you to know that I will be completely honored if these recipes become a part of your family’s tradition…but please always remember where they came from J

From my family to yours...

MAW MAW'S PUMPKIN PIE:

 You will need:  pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, whisky (I'll explain later), cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

O, and a 9 or 10 inch unbaked pie crust.


 Start by mixing your pumpkin puree and sugar together in a medium-sized bowl.

 In a separate bowl, crack two eggs.

 And beat 'em up.

 Then add them into the pumpkin/sugar mixture.

 Open up your can of evaporated milk.

 **VERY IMPORTANT STEP** - remove 2 tablespoons of liquid.

 Then pour the remainder of the evaporated milk into your bowl.

 Add in 3/4 teaspoon salt.

 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

 And 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.  Then mix.

(You can use freshly grated nutmeg if you want - I didn't have any.)

 Open up your whisky.

(Be sure to use a whisky you (or someone who drinks whisky) would drink...I had to ask Phillip) J

 Stir to combine.

Be sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl!

Pour it into you fork-poked pie crust.  

Please don't judge my less-than-perfect pie crust...I was in a hurry J

***BE SURE TO READ THIS ENTIRE POST SO YOU WON'T MISS LEARNING HOW TO DECORATE YOUR CRUST WITH PRETTY LEAVES***

If you missed the pie crust post CLICK HERE.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour or until the custard is firm.  

A little tiny bit of jiggle is okay, but if you shake your pie pan, and the entire custard does the shimmy, then keep cooking it.  

If your crust starts to get too brown, simply place a piece of aluminum foil on top of your pie and continue cooking.

That's it for the pumpkin pie, now here's how to make...

MAW MAW'S PECAN PIE:

 You will need:  dark Karo syrup*, sugar, vanilla extract, pecans, eggs, and a 9 or 10 inch unbaked pie crust.

*Note:  My grocery store didn't have Karo syrup!  I guess that's what I get for living in Texas J

 Crack 3 eggs into a bowl.

 And give 'em a whisk.

 Add in one cup of sugar.

 And 1 teaspoon of pure yummy vanilla extract.

Sniff...ahh...you can't beat that smell!

 Spray your measuring cup with nonstick spray.

 And measure out one cup of dark Karo syrup.

Add it into your bowl.

 Pour your pecans onto a cutting board.

(That's puh-kahn NOT pee-kan!  I'll never understand why Paula Deen gets it wrong every time...I thought she was from Georgia.)

 And give 'em a rough chop.

Chopping your pecans allows your pie to taste more like the nut of the south.  If you leave them whole, your pie will not have as much flavor.

Trust me.

 Measure out two cups of chopped pecans.

That's not to be mistaken with 2 cups of pecans, chopped.  

Measure your pecans after you chop them.

Make sense?

 Add your pecans to your bowl then mix well.

 Pour into your fork-pricked pie crust.

Put into a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 250 degrees and bake for 50-60 more minutes.

NOW I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO MAKE YOUR PIES THE PRETTIEST OF THEM ALL!!

 Start by cracking an egg and adding 1 Tablespoon of water to it.  Then whisk.

...This is called an egg wash.

It's like food glue.

 Go out and buy these adorable leaf cutters from Williams-Sonoma.

They are well-worth every penny.


 Start by dipping your cutter in flour.

(I used my leftover pie scraps for the leaves and had more than enough left over)

 Start by pushing the cutter down into the crust, then push the little button to make the leaf imprint.  While still holding down the button, pick up the cutter.  Then push the button to release the dough leaf from inside.

This sounds complicated, but with a little practice you will get it down in no time!

It sounds and looks more complicated than it is.  

Shh...don't tell!

 I mean, how cute is that?!

 Using a pastry brush, brush some (not a lot) of egg wash onto the back of your leaf.  

This will act as the glue.

 Stick the leaf onto your pie crust.

 Then brush the top with egg wash.

This will make your baked pie crust glisten and turn a really pretty golden brown color!

 This is before I put it in the oven.  

Play around with the different shapes.  I overlap them a little bit to ensure they cover the entire rim of the pie.  

There's no right or wrong way.  Be creative and have fun!

Here's the finished product.

Believe it or not, it tastes even better than it looks!

Whip up some homemade whipping cream and dollop on top...yum.

I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do and that they bring joy and love into your home this Thanksgiving season!


I'LL BE BACK SOON WITH PART 2:  THE TURKEY AND ALL THAT GOES WITH IT!!


Here are the recipes:


Pumpkin Pie
1 can mashed pumpkin
1 cup sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten with fork
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 (13 oz) can evaporated milk **Minus 2 Tablespoons!
2 Tablespoons whiskey
1 unbaked 9” or 10” pie crust

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In medium-sized bowl, mix ingredients until smooth.  Place in unbaked shell and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.  Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 45-50 minutes (until custard is firm).  Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Pecan Pie
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark Karo syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix ingredients well.  Pour into unbaked pie shell.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Turn down oven to 250 degrees and bake for 50 minutes.  Serve with fresh whipped cream.


1 comment:

  1. How fun! The pies look amazing:). I so wish I could have been there and enjoyed them... I'm sure they were delicious. Miss you.... Love you!

    ReplyDelete