Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Quick Protein Boost


Hey guys!

I went to the doctor last week for my 30-week check up.  I did what I always do when they say, “Step on the scale please,” I took off my shoes – who wouldn’t?!  Next, they checked for a heartbeat (his), and praise the Lord it was there…beating in the 140s (perfectly normal), checked my blood pressure, and told me the doctor would be in soon. 

She came in with a smile, asked me how I was doing, and then informed me that I hadn’t gained any weight since my last visit.  How on earth this is possible with what I’ve been eating, I have not a clue.  The good news is that he is still growing.  She measured my stomach and he measured 29 cm.  From what I understand, as long as he is +1 or -1 away from your “weeks” then he is right on track, and you have nothing to worry about. 

We spent a few minutes talking about my routine and eating habits.  I asked her if I need to back off of the working out, and she told me to keep doing as I’m doing, but I need to make up for the calories I burn.  (Seeing as how I’m a housewife with no kids for a short time, I have quite a bit of time on my hands, so that time allows me to go to a class a few times a week and walk almost daily).

Anyway, after talking about my diet, her only suggestion was that I increase my protein intake.  So…here is one way that I have been doing just that.  As I’ve mentioned before, Greek yogurt is a GREAT source of protein.  One cup of this stuff has 23 grams (45% of your daily need!).  It has been my go-to solution to the “get more protein” order from my OB.

I love starting my day off right with this smoothie.  It is chock full of vitamins and minerals from the fruit, full of protein, and very low on both sugar and fat.  Keep in mind this is more of a "method" than a "recipe."  You can change it/mix it up any way you want depending on what’s in your house and what you’re in the mood for.   

Here’s how I do it:

Start by throwing about a cup of rinsed strawberries (leaves* and all) into a blender.

*I know it seems weird, but the leaves pack a ton of nutritional and health benefits that people tend to miss out on.

 Add in 1/2 - 3/4 cup of rinsed blueberries, depending on your mood.

 Toss in 1/2 of a banana.

 Then go to the fridge and pull out that amazing Greek Yogurt.

 Take a look at the nutrition label, give yourself a pat on the back, and then add in 1/2 - 1 cup into the blender.

 Pour in about 1/4 cup of OJ.  

You can add more later if it needs a little loosening up.

 Then squeeze in about 1/2 teaspoon of honey for a little added sweetness.

This is totally optional, but it makes me feel special :-)

You could also go really crazy here and add in about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract...yum.

 Put the top on.

 And give it a whirl.

*Note:  I do not add ice.  Maybe I'm weird, but I like the consistency better without it.  I also feel like it's more flavorful without the ice.  By all means, go for it if you prefer a little bit of a different texture in your smoothies!

 Pour it into your favorite glass.

And enjoy!!

**************************************************

The parentals are due in tomorrow night.  We're gonna start their trip off right with a visit to our favorite Mexican restaurant in town (El Tiempo), then we'll get busy Friday morning with the move.  I go back the the doctor Monday morning to see if I successfully packed on a few pounds.  I'll be back soon with an update.  

Hope y'all are having a great week!  

Thanks for checking in!


1 comment:

  1. wyoah this blog is fantastic i love studying your posts.
    Keep up the god work! You know, lots of people are looking
    around for this information, you could aid them greatly.


    Here is my web page: m88

    ReplyDelete