Thursday, September 1, 2011

Another Month Down!



August has come and gone.  I can’t believe how fast this pregnancy is going by!!  Sorry I have been MIA.  We were without cable/internet/phone for about three weeks after we moved.

Let me bring this blog up to speed…

My parents graciously came in town to help us move into our new apartment.  We had so much fun with them here in our midst.  We worked hard during the day, but rewarded ourselves at night with fun dinners out on the town.  We visited some of our favorite spots:  Dolce Vita, El Tiempo, and last but not least Eddie V’s.  While the boys loaded and unloaded all of our boxes and gear, Mom and I “nested” our little hearts out.  That’s one thing Houston definitely has to offer – shopping.  If there is a store that you’ve heard of, chances are we have one.  The boys went above and beyond their call of duty and spent a day about town with us.  We went and took care of all of the “majors” on our list, which required trips to Ikea, Babies R Us, and Pottery Barn (just to name a few).  They were such troupers and never once complained!

Mom and Dad, along with a huge group of my friends and family, were back in just two short weeks to join us for our baby shower.  It surpassed all of my expectations and was better than I could ever have imagined.  My friends went above and beyond, as usual, and gave Phillip and I a night we will always hold dear.  Here are a few pictures from the party!










We had a lot of fun!  Thanks again to all of my sweet friends and family for going out of your way to be here!  And thanks, Douglas, for being our photographer!!

All of the protein from the smoothies helped me put on the pounds I needed (and then some) :-).  A couple of weeks ago, Phillip and I went to the hospital for the last glimpse of our little boy before he makes his entrance into the world.  My doctor ordered an ultrasound to estimate his weight, because at one of my most recent visits, he “measured small” for his age.  They assured me that it was most likely due to the fact that he was curled up into a ball, but wanted me to get an ultrasound for safe measure. 

Usually ultrasounds go on without a glitch, but that wasn’t the case for us that morning (nothing life-threatening, but I’ll explain).  Once you get to a certain point in your pregnancy, you are supposed to avoid laying flat on your back.  The fear is that the weight of your baby will press on the vessel that provides his/her blood flow, causing your blood pressure to drop and you to get lightheaded, dizzy, and/or nauseous.  It’s called inferior vena cava syndrome (or IVCS).  It’s nothing too serious, and the only thing you need to do to reverse it is change your position. 

I think it was the combination of 1)me lying on my back, 2)the ultrasound tech pressing on me with that little wand of hers, and 3)little man being in just the right position…all that to say it happened to me – IVCS.  Before I knew it, I felt my blood pressure dropping, my face flushing, sweat forming on my forehead, and a not-so-enjoyable nausea rising up in my belly.  Being the nurse that I am, I immediately recognized what was happening and told the tech I needed to sit up and was going to be sick.  Sweet Phillip got me a cool washcloth and asked if he could take off my socks (the attractive blue ones they give you with the sticky stuff on both sides so that you don’t slip) because he saw how hot I was getting :-).  After a few minutes of fanning myself and cooling off, I was feeling much better.  But needless to say, for the duration of the ultrasound, I wasn’t 100%...and she kept pushing on my belly with that wand haha.  After she had what she needed, she stopped poking and prodding and left us so she could go do her evaluations.  She came back to inform us that his estimated weight was 5 lb 7 oz (which puts him in the 58% at 34 weeks).  She told us that he was going to be, “a super star,” according to her calculations.  We got a good report on all else:  his heart, spine, fingers, and toes are all formed correctly PTL!! 

I went to the doctor for my first “weekly” visit today.  She went over the ultrasound report with me in detail, and for that I was very thankful.  I had psyched myself out thinking he was going to end up being a big ole’ baby (like his daddy was), but she reassured me that, because he was in the 58%, he would most likely be average-sized (which she was very happy about).  According to her calculations, he is right on track!  He’ll be here (if he is on time) in three weeks or less!!

No longer is my insomnia due to the fact that we are ill prepared (now I think I can blame it on both pure excitement and frequent bathroom breaks haha).  When mom was in town for the baby shower she stayed in town a few extra days to help me get everything ready.  We went to all of the different baby shops around town and successfully fulfilled all of our “needs.”  I slept better than ever the night she left because I could honestly say for the first time, “We’re ready!”  We have clothes, blankets, diapers, wipes, and baby gadgets galore, so whenever he decides to make his entrance into the world, we’re all set!

Now all we have to do is wait.  I went to Target yesterday and loaded up on the things I needed for my hospital bag.  I’m starting to get packed.  I got things like inexpensive non-white towels and pillowcases, lounge pants (two sizes too big), and some comfy nightgowns.  I guess it’s about that time!  Here's my latest prego pic!

37 weeks and 3 days :-)

We are still experiencing record-breaking days of heat here in Houston.  I looked on my iPhone today and saw that it was going to be 70 degrees in Monroe.  My dad confirmed the prediction and said that it is going to be in the mid-60s later this week!  I’m so jealous, but I know our time will come.  I can’t wait to walk out onto our porch one morning and feel that first cool breeze!!  There’s nothing like a change of seasons…especially when summer turns into fall.

Well, I think that’s it for now.  Our LSU tigers kick off the season this weekend in Dallas!  Phillip and I had tickets, but have to stay home…doctor’s orders.  O well.  We’re inviting a few friends over and going to have front row tickets in the comfort of our own home.  I’m trying my best to make that sound as good as our 50 yard line company tickets in the midst of tiger fans cheering on our team :-)…maybe next year when Little One is old enough.  He’s worth it :-).

I go back next week for another check up.  Hopefully I’ll have some progress to report!

Please keep my sweet Bea Bea in your prayers.  She has her good days and bad, but as you can see...her age is not keeping her from learning new things!  Her latest wish (thanks to my mom and D'Daddy) is an iPad so she can listen to John Piper's sermons.  This photo makes me smile.  I love you Bea Bea and D'Daddy!!


Have a great weekend and GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

O and HAPPY LABOR DAY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog... didn't know how else to respond. Hope you see this! Rug is from Overstock!

    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Luna-Restoration-Living-Wool-and-Jute-Rug-4-x-6/6030955/product.html

    ReplyDelete